At Spectrum Brands we are committed to cultivating a diverse, inclusive and performance oriented culture that encourages all of our people to contribute to their fullest potential.
The heart and soul of our company has always been our people. Over the years, our employees have been integral to our successes by living and working with a consistent set of core values. While the world and our business will continue to change rapidly, respecting these values will continue to be essential to our long-term success. Part of what we value are personal differences—whether they be race, gender, age, religion, culture, ethnicity, veteran status, national origin or physical ability—and the benefits that an array of backgrounds, cultures and thinking styles bring to our organization.
As a global consumer products company, we are acutely aware of the ever-changing demographics in our various markets and how these changes will significantly influence our future plans, goals and objectives. We recognize that our continued success at competing for new customers as well as attracting the most highly qualified employees will depend on understanding, accepting and embracing these differences. As we have grown, our company has benefited from the various cultural insights and perspectives of the geographies in which we do business. Much of our future success will depend on our ability to further develop a worldwide team that is rich in its diversity of people, cultures and ideas. To this end, at a recent Executive Committee review, the leadership team affirmed their support for Spectrum Brands actively promoting and supporting diversity and inclusion both in our workforce and through support of the communities where we do business.
At Spectrum Brands, promoting diversity and inclusion will not be a “program,” but a philosophy. Treating others with respect and dignity and welcoming individual differences is not only encouraged but expected. This philosophy enhances our competitive edge and ensures our future success in the continual evolving global marketplace. I ask and expect each employee to embrace this philosophy and truly support the development of a diverse culture, throughout the Company, that benefits from the perspectives of each individual.
2. Purchasing at Spectrum Brands
Purchase Order Process
Spectrum Brands, Inc. uses SAP R/3 software for their company-wide information system.
- Purchase Orders will be sent via fax or EDI. Purchase orders will not be mailed. Notify the Corporate Purchasing Department with any changes in your address, phone number or fax number.
- Terms and Conditions will not be sent with each new order. Faxed purchase orders will print only on one side. Our Terms and Conditions are included in the Supplier booklet for future reference.
- Spectrum Brands, Inc. will accept only those shipments whose quantities are precise to the quantities stated on the purchase order. Any differences in quantities must be pre-approved with the buyer/planner at the receiving location prior to shipment. For any shipments received in excess of the purchase order quantity, at Spectrum Brands, Inc.’s option, the excess portion will be refused and shipped back to you freight collect with an administrative fee. Suppliers who are measured on our supplier measurement system will be penalized accordingly.
- All shipping documents and packing lists must include the following information:
- Complete SAP generated purchase order number
- Purchase order line number (referenced as “item” number within SAP)
- Ship to location
- Spectrum Brands, Inc. part number (referenced as “material” number within SAP)
- Spectrum Brands, Inc. utilizes a preferred supplier payment procedure called “evaluated receipt settlement” (ERS). ERS simplifies the payment process for both Spectrum Brands, Inc. and the supplier by eliminating the need for invoices.
ERS automatically creates an invoice when a receipt is entered at our receiving location. The payment will be based on the purchase order price and purchase order payment terms. Therefore, any purchase order quantity or pricing discrepancy must be corrected with your buyer prior to shipment.
With ERS the supplier should not generate an invoice. Spectrum Brands, Inc. may charge a $200 administration fee for each unnecessary invoice received.
ERS, however, does not cover any tooling, set up charges or prepaid freight not included on the Purchase Order. These require a separate invoice to cover these charges.
- For suppliers not using ERS, invoice should be sent to:
Spectrum Brands, Inc.
Attn: Accounts Payable
P.O. Box 44960
- All invoices must include the following information:
- Complete SAP generated purchase order number
- Purchase order line item number
- Ship to location
- Supplier account number
- Spectrum Brands, Inc. part number
- Unit price
Flow Chart of Registration and Next Steps
Thank you for participating in the Supplier Diversity on-line registration process. Please review the process below prior to completing the Supplier Registration Form.
4. What We Look for in Suppliers
- 100% on time, in spec and in full.
- We will align ourselves with world-class suppliers offering world-class products backed up with world-class support.
- We expect consistent high-quality and high-performance materials from our suppliers.
- We must have immediate reaction and participation from our suppliers of any quality concerns that may arise. All concerns must be driven to a complete conclusion and resolution.
- Pricing must be based on favorable total cost of ownership.
- All alliances must be considered strategic and have the support of executive management committees.
- We expect our suppliers to be proactive in finding and generating cost reduction methods throughout the supply chain and within Spectrum Brands.
- Suppliers must have proper certification to be recognized as a SDB.
- Suppliers must meet our Terms and Conditions of Purchase.
Spectrum Brands prefers to accept Supplier registrations from certified small and diverse business enterprises only. Spectrum Brands recognizes third party certification from the Small Business Administration as well as local government agencies including:
[Note: The below mentioned websites are outside of www.spectrumbrands.com. They may provide links or references to other Web sites not affiliated with Spectrum Brands. Spectrum Brands is not responsible for the content of such other sites and shall not be liable for any damages or injury arising from users’ access to such sites. Links to other sites are provided only as a convenience to users of our site.]
- If your company is a minority-owned/or HUBZone business, we urge you to attain certification from the Small Business Administration: (SBA) 8 (a) BD (Business Development), SDB (Small Disadvantaged Business), "HUBZone" (all firms that are 8 (a) certified are automatically SDB certified)
- If your company is Veteran/Service Disabled Veteran owned business, we urge you to become certified by your state government agency (go to your state website, and search for Veterans Affairs, business certification).
- If your company is a woman-owned business, we urge you to become certified by the Women Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC), or through local government certification agencies (which can be found on state/city websites).
5. Supplier Advantage
For those suppliers who rise up to meet these challenges, Spectrum Brands offers a lucrative business potential
- Suppliers that meet these challenges will be recognized for their desires and capabilities.
- Major share of business volume
- Long term supply agreement
- Access to long range planning horizons
- Preferential position with respect to new product development
- Access to contracts not achievable without SBA certification
- Suppliers who meet these challenges also get other key benefits such as: greater sales growth from the fastest growing consumer products company in the world.
6. Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR)
Spectrum requires [follows] several minimum Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) clauses for commercial items from subcontractors. The text of these FAR sections can be found on the Federal Acquisition Regulations Web site.
Click here to go to a page titled, “General Structure and Subparts.”
Scroll down to Part 52-Solicitation Provisions and Contract Clauses
Clicking on this link opens a list of all sections in Part 52. Scroll down to the links for each of the following sections:
(1) 52.222-26, Equal Opportunity (E.O. 11246)
(2) 52.222-35, Equal Opportunity for Special Disabled Veterans, Veterans of the Vietnam Era, and Other Eligible Veterans
(3) 52.222-36, Affirmative Action for Workers with Disabilities
(4) 52.222-41, Service Contract Act of 1965, as amended (41 U.S.C. 351, et seq.) and
(5) 52.247-64, Preference for Privately Owned U.S.-Flag Commercial Vessels
7. In Closing
Spectrum Brands continues to align itself with suppliers capable of helping us achieve our mission of becoming a world-class global consumer products company. Again, we appreciate your interest in doing business with Spectrum Brands, Inc.
- We will continue to grow our company through a combination of strategic acquisitions and organic growth.
- We will strengthen our brands and generate growth through emphasis on brand strategy/marketing and innovative product technology, design and packaging.
- We will leverage IT infrastructure, distribution channels, purchasing power and operational structure globally to continue to drive efficiencies and reduce costs.
- We will profitably expand distribution in all served markets.
8. Assistance from the Supplier Diversity Team
Our Supplier Diversity team is your advocate for doing business with Spectrum Brands. We will match your company to the appropriate purchaser. In addition, we will work externally with HUB development organizations and other groups chartered to assist diverse suppliers. If needed, the team can offer references and contacts to help with your business development.
Feel free to contact the Supplier Diversity Program Team at the following address or email account:
Spectrum Brands, Inc.
Global Purchasing Department-
Supplier Diversity Program
601 Rayovac Dr.
Madison, WI 53711